Monday, September 7, 2009

Return to the Joy



It's Labor Day, and in its honor let's think of cooking as a delightful form of entertainment and entertaining, rather than a tedious drama. I've been cooking from the 1975 version for years. In fact, in this jubilant spirit I've decided to cook each and every one of its 1,437 recipes throughout the course of the year. Who knows where something like this might lead? A book deal? A movie?

I know, the stuff of dreams.


Like this teriyaki marinade (from the Joy) for your Santa Maria style tri tip. Quick! Get shopping and it'll be ready for today's grill.

You will need:

A wonderful chunk of tri-tip. Place it in a large zip lock bag.

Combine:
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tbls brown sugar
3 mashed garlic cloves
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 tbls sherry

Pour into the ziploc, marinate the meat for as long as you like, but six hours should do it.

Grill to your taste.

Accompany with a pot of beans, pico de gallo, and garlic bread.

Tune in Wednesday. I think I'll tackle Joy's sea turtle soup. May need a couple of tanks of gas to find just the right ingredients. Maybe Meryl Streep can play my agent?

10 comments:

  1. Hee hee! At least Irma Rombauer isn't around to sneer down her nose at you.

    I have a two-volume paperback edition of Joy that I inherited from my mom and is now held together tenuously with tape. What's wonderful is that I've never looked for a recipe in there and come up empty. It's amazing how comprehensive it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm . . . teriyaki sauce without soy sauce? That would be like pico de gallo without the tomatoes. Maybe soy sauce wasn't a household staple in 1975.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Thanks to sharp-eyed Susan, you spotted the missing ingredient. Mea Culpa! (I think that's Greek for my bad). Thanks, Karen: my husband keeps offering to replace mine, but I won't let him-

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see you return to work today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a great brownie recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DELICIOUS, you pusher of tastes!!!!!
    The marinade is good.
    About beans can I sponsor the town festival here in Sutri? La sagra del fagiolo, beans festival, where we eat and cook beans! :D
    PS: I'm happy you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks,I-now I'm wondering if sagra means sacred--I could get into that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad to say that I don't even have a copy of Joy! But, I saw the J&J movie last night and liked it a lot. Sounds like a great marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bec--it was the go-to book at one time--

    ReplyDelete