Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day Jobs

Even the Restless Chef must pay the bills. I love this link here of how revered writers have paid their rent.

What? You were hoping for a seasonal recipe?!
Okay, I LOVE Irish soda bread. I forget the source, but it's a favorite:

Preheat oven to 375
Combine 3 cups flour, 3 tblsp sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp salt. Cut in 1 stick butter until fine crumbs form. Mix in 1 tblsp caraway seeds, 1/2 cup golden raisins, 1/3 cup dried currants, and 1 cup buttermilk. Stir until everything's moist. Gather dough and knead (I don't know how to knead, so just wing your 16 turns). Form into a ball, then flatten into a 1 inch thick circle.

Slash an x completely across. Brush with more buttermilk. Bake 30-35 minutes. Slather on the butter, and die happy.

Better get shoppin' for tonight's party--

6 comments:

  1. I've seen worse jobs; I've had worse jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer nite work! Although it means I have to do it for fun & pleasure, rather than the pay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better than what I made for St.Patrick's day: Baked potatoes. Last year, I tried to dry them green and no one would eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only sleep at night! AH: the voice of experience! M: I love that you're the biggest risk taker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god, I've had so many awful jobs (and a few good ones). All fodder for my pen--er, keyboard.

    Des, I'm getting so many lemon bar comments today I'm here to find the link to your recipe.

    ReplyDelete