Friday, June 12, 2009

Frugal Fridays: Bread



It's June and it's still damp and clammy outside. So instead of cursing the darkness, light the oven. A faithful reader tells me her husband has "been making this amazing bread." If you watch the five minute video you'll see you will not need:
a bread maker
a pizza stone
a brick oven
a time to knead the dough.

You will need:
flour, instant yeast, a pinch of salt, a covered dutch oven or pyrex dish, and an oven that gets up to 500 degrees. Oh, and time to let the dough rise.

Want the skinny? Click here for the recipe. It's cold today, and I can't wait to test run it!

4 comments:

  1. I've made this bread before and it's pretty good. However, be aware that if you decide to experiment with whole wheat flour, you need to take the temps down a bit. Frankly, a pizza stone and a pan with rocks in it works just as well and you can control the temp a bit better.

    Anne B.
    OddBallGrape.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I look forward to trying it out--I'm still struggling with the 12-18 hour rise timing--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try this. I'm sure I can do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, bread is so fun to make and it smells so good. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete