Monday, June 8, 2009

Simple Summer Cobbler


It was cold Saturday. All right, so not cold, but overcast. As any native Californian knows, one never dresses according to the temperature outside, but according to what the temperature looks like it might be.

Kinda like cooking. Overcast and gloomy? Turn on the oven. To 375 degrees.

This past week Ralphs had a terrific deal on nectarines, and they were good. When I returned for another couple of pounds I noticed the clouds and promised myself dessert. My family thanked me.

You will need:

7-8 skinned and sliced nectarines. Or any other stone fruit you've got plenty of. I peel them with a vegetable peeler, the super ripe ones have skin that slips right off. If you're using peaches you cut a little cross at the end farthest from the stem, and drop them in boiling water for 15 seconds. You should be able to tear off the skin from the cross easily now.

Sprinkle the fruit with a couple of tablespoons of sugar, depending on how sweet the fruit and how sweet you like it. Squeeze a tablespoon of lemon juice on it. Mix well.

As the fruit macerates blend 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, a grating or two of nutmeg. With two knives or a pastry blender cut into this two tablespoons butter. (I cheat: I dice the butter into tiny pieces while it's very cold, then mix/mush it into the flour with my fingers).

Spread the fruit mixture into a pie tin, and sprinkle the topping over it all. Bake for half an hour.

Don't want to fight over the topping? Double the recipe.

Feeling unloved? Top with lots of vanilla ice cream.

5 comments:

  1. In about two weeks, I'm going to have about two thousand ripe apricots. I hope it's still cool then so that I can enjoy cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm,2,000 eh? I think you're gonna need some help--

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these comfort foods. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. What other fruit have you used?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peaches work like a dream. I bet plums would as well. I'm hoping a certain someone needs loads of help with her apricots!

    ReplyDelete