Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dreaming




Some people dream of social justice, others of world peace. I dream of the perfect corned beef hash. And what a better morning to dream of it, than the day after everyone has corned and boiled their beef.

There used to be in Pasadena, years ago, Rose City Diner on Fair Oaks, before its incarnation as Ruby's, then La Huasteca, then another empty restaurant. It was an old-style diner that served corned beef and hash. Like another favorite, the Grinder on PCH, the hash was made of steamy hot potatoes tender on the inside and crisp on the outside; sauteed onions, and slices of corned beef. All this topped with two eggs of your choice. I always ordered poached, since that's something I've never been able to master. (Joy of Cooking tells you to add vinegar to the boiling water, drop in the eggs and swirl gently; I think I'm pretty good, but not that good). Alas, time and tastes change, and that diner no longer exists. And yet I insist on ordering this dish, hope triumphing over experience. The last place I tried was in Eagle Rock, Pat and Lorraine's, where they filmed the best scene of Reservoir Dogs, the opening, which ends in argument about under-tipping the waitress. In other words, a place of dreams.

The waitress brought my melamine plate of breakfast, along with toast to sop up the yolk. Sigh. Someone had opened a can of the stuff, heated it on the griddle, and plated it. That can is one half step up from dog food. I fought the urge to under tip.

I guess I'm gonna have to attempt it myself. Mebbe even tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, I'll shoot for plan b: the perfect Reuben sandwich. Any food dreams of your own?

9 comments:

  1. You had me at potatoes. I am crazy about potatoes. Add that to my comfort food list. I had pretty good has at Mike and Ann's in South Pasadena. We should go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U have me @ The PURRFECT REUBEN S/W! If u need a taste testing judge, lemme no.
    I had a great, juicy one at Oinksters in Eagles Rok a few weekN's ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, kiddos, now two spots to try--can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rite now I'm eatin Tandoori chicken on a bed of herbed Quinoa & Letils with an Apple Mango chutney thrown in to pacify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm embarrassed to admit I like the canned stuff. What can I say? I grew up on it.

    Nowadays I eat it maybe three times a decade, because it's just awful for the health. But fried up, topped with a couple of "sunny-side-up" eggs and a piece of sourdough toast for sopping? Yummm ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never mean to cast aspersions on anyone's childhood food memories! (Only my own). They are powerful magick--

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a hash fan, too. Try red flannel hash. I make hash with a lot of different things - salmon, sausage, ham, sometimes just veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to try it with salmon--sounds great

    ReplyDelete