Friday, October 22, 2010

Ramekins



I bought numerous white ramekins.  In my mind's eye, I pictured
creme brulee, elegant puddings, lemon custard.

Well, I got the egg component right.  This morning I was scrounging around in my fridge,
and figured, waste not want not.  A coupla baked eggs on last night's chopped spinach,
stretched out by a bit of dried out goat cheese, garnished with that one remaining slice of
bacon, fried crisp.  Doesn't sound appetizing, right?  The result was worthy
of high falutin' guests.  Provided they eat eggs.

Baked Eggs:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

In single serving ramekin  place half a slice of toast.  Or not.
Add:
 left over chopped spinach.
Or leftover risotto.
Mix in or grate on top cheese: swiss, cheddar, parmesan or, baaaa, goat!
With the back of your tablespoon press down a concave area (or convex.  I forget.)
Crack an egg.  Salt and pepper it.  Top with a little left over heavy cream.

Bake 14 minutes or so, until desired firmness.  I like my eggs runny.

5 comments:

  1. You had me at ramekins. I collect them too. And use them all the time, but usually just for a handful of nuts.

    I eat eggs and this sounds yummy and easy. Two of my requirements. Thanks for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good. And few things give me more pleasure than turning leftovers into something yummy. (I hate wasting food.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm .... sounds good. Much better than my plain ol' poached eggs on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try throwing a few things together and generally it tastes like I threw a few things together. You have the touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH: I used to read all recipes religiously. Now, I have embraced chaos--
    J: Ramekins are so nice for small tidbits--
    K: Recently ordered poached eggs (at a hotel restaurant). They came out hard boiled. Bleck!
    M: There is an unsung art of repurposing food.
    Is that a goddess that I hear?

    ReplyDelete