Maybe cuz it was fun to eavesdrop 3000 miles away, gawk, cast aspersions and pronounce judgement. But who are they if not a mirror of who we are? (Me, I should say, not you, gentle reader). High dudgeon, righteous indignation, coupled with an incredible capacity to resist apologizing. No one on that show was ever wrong, except to believe the better of someone. It makes me sad to recognize bits of myself there.
(swiped, recklessly, from Food and Wine)
- In 2/3 cup olive olive steep 2/3 cup peeled garlic cloves, on low heat, stirring until lightly golden (the smell, THE SMELL! will drive you wild with garlic desire)
- In 3 cups of water boil 4 ounces sliced mushrooms until reduced to one cup.
- Puree the olive oil and garlic in a blender with one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, pour into heavy sauce pan.
- Puree the mushroom broth (toss the shrooms) with one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, pour into heavy sauce pan.
- Simmer blended ingredients an hour, until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle over pasta of your choice, garnished with fresh basil and parmesan.