Monday, July 9, 2012

What Becomes a Goddess Most?


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51eNERcZ1PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A novel, of course.


Margaret Finnegan's wild romp The Goddess Lounge is feminist fusion, wedding the present day to the
epic Odyssean tale.  In honor of her hot-off-the press publication, a toast, and a virtual menu.

While we know Mt Olympian gods live on nectar and ambrosia, our goddess has lustier appetites.

To start:
sparkling pinot, a deep dry sparkling wine, "To Margaret and your successful publication!" The dry wine emphasizes the silky, slightly sweet foie gras on brioche toasts.

First course:
Antipasto:  a hearty platter of soppressato, caponato, mortadella and pungent provolone.  Keep sipping the sparkling pinot, and when it runs out, a bottle of lambrusco will do.

Main: 
Pasta a la carbonara, heavy on the cream, extra bacon please, and keep grating that fresh parmesan until I say when.
Wait, you've got a fresh truffle there?  Shave away!

If you've sworn off chardonnay, bored by the whole thing, now's the time to reconnect to something oaky and/or buttery.

Dessert:
Direct from Angelique's cafe on the Rue de Rivoli, Paris:  hot chocolate (where it is rumored they melt chocolate bars to achieve the perfect quality) topped by creme de chantilly.

You will need nothing more after this, I promise, except some quiet time to finish reading this great book.

12 comments:

  1. You are fabulous. I love this menu. Now I need some pasta Carbonara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely impossible to improve on Venus Nipples, but I did my best--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Des, this is wonderful! I think I'll try fixing this meal, then I'll turn down the lights and see what happens. I may not be a goddess but I do like lusty appetites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, yes, the Venus nipples were a bit inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, in a pinch, one can always substitute Hershey's kisses for Venus Nipples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am guessing that your average goddess does not worry one whit about calories. So nice to be a goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that pasta will be the death of me. (Off topic, but it's your gardener Max's first day at chez moi. I like him already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! When's this event taking place - and can you save me a seat!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous, but I must spread this out over many meals to appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladies--so glad you enjoy it!--Happily the calories on this menu are purely theoretical--
    ;)

    AH: Yay! He takes direction, too--

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm late as usual. Would it be gauche to skip the first and main course and go straight to that chocolate dessert? Is there any left?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Susan:
    Silly me. True celebrations should START with the dessert--

    ReplyDelete