Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spicin' up that white meat--

I'm a huge fan of James McNair's recipes ever since I got a copy of his at my bridal shower.  The recipes are clear, the photographs make you want to run out, buy every ingredient and start cooking!

But I, perhaps like you, fall victim to routine, and rotate the same recipes in and out, week in, week out.  The other night I was racing home and realized my guests needed a splash of protein to accompany the drinks I had offered.  I picked up this copy and found another winner, one that I hadn't previously had the imagination to try.

Cube a chicken breast.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and thyme (proportions?  More spice for heat, around 1/2 teaspoon each per chicken breast).  Let sit for a half hour.
Melt half a tablespoon butter along with half a tablespoon oil in a saute pan.  On medium high heat quickly saute your chicken cubes--3-5 minutes, turning to cook through. 

What a great nibble to go with a glass of almost anything--

9 comments:

  1. Quick, simple, and good. You are correct that chicken would pair well with numerous wines, from a fume blanc to a spicy zin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try it for the chillin. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for posting easy stuff.

    I've had to face the fact that I have an emotional aversion to cooking. It's a problem, because fast food doesn't cut it and ya gotta eat. So bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm worse than petrea, because I like to cook, but have no talent for it. For that reason, I steer clear of chicken, but this sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah kids, I love to eat, so what I eat had better be worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love simple stuff to remind me to get my ass (or my head) of the cookbooks and focus on the basics.

    Boyfriend is visiting the hoard this week; this sounds like a good single gal dinner!

    I'm thinking a Pacifico, though... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, like you Restless Dez, fall victim to routine. But usually not about food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I think about food for Americans (not American food) I don't think about routine.
    As routine you have the non routine (always in my mind, then... I don't know). You try new recipes, new food around the world. Me, for example: every week, very day, the same food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caro Italo--
    Your routine would sound very exotic to the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete