Monday, January 28, 2013

Good to Eat?





Years  back I read a book on all of the odd things people have eaten throughout history.  My daughter called recently and told me of a friend who had traveled to South Korea and eaten a fried tarantula.  It took her thirty minutes to gather up the courage, but once she did she said it was delicious.  That tops most of the food in the book Good to Eat.

Many people I know look at turnips in the same way they look at a tarantula.  I'm not quite sure why; I remember peeling, salting and snacking on them in front of the TV as a kid.  These days, I prefer Julia Child's navets a la champenoise: perfect for a cold day, savory, filling and delicious.

Peel and slice two pounds of turnips into manageable quarters or eighths.  Parboil for eight minutes.  Saute 4 ounces of bacon in 1 tbl butter until lightly browned.  Add 2/3 cup diced onions, cover and cook slowly for 5 minutes. Blend in 1 tbl flour and cook slowly for 2 minutes. Add one and 1/4 cup stock, (or water with bouillon flavoring) salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 sage and simmer for a minute.  Gently add the turnips, coating with the liquid.  Cover and simmer until tender, around 20-30 minutes.  Add water as necessary.  Serve alongside any roast meat.







5 comments:

  1. I have always wondered what to do with a turnip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My speed bump is the par. I can broil, boil, cook, roast, stew, simmer -- but par?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love turnips. You can eat them like potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whose that cooking guy - from New York, gruff voice, kinda sexy? I saw an episode where he was in Vietnam and ate this stew that was made from bats. It wasn't "bats" in general that bothered me. It was those beautiful bats with the long pointy faces. The ones that look like my Twyla Bean. I'd rather eat a turnip.

    It's a long shot but show this to your daughter. They also have internships.

    http://roadtripnation.com/participate/apply.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. PA: I would wager that it's Anthony Bourdain, he fits your description perfectly. Thanks for the link, I shall forward!
    P: I wonder if it's a geographical thing--
    AH: Fancy word for simmer in boiling water--
    M: You with your vast imagination will probably incorporate them into your next send up of 50 Shades---another use: toss them at insolent college students.

    ReplyDelete